Monday, March 21, 2011

Immaculate Inspiration... Process

Hello Everyone,

When at Victoria's house, for her retreat, she had given each of us a little piece of some fabric that she designed on Spoonflower. It was a Virgin Mary (Lady of Guadalupe). So after finishing my paper piecing, I decided to play with her.


I took a dive into the scrap bins, not literally though. First bordering her with black fabrics to frame it up.


Being the bright lover that I am, I decided to go with brightly colored fabrics. Since Mary was hot pink, one of my favorite colors, that would be my jumping off point.

I pieced fabrics randomly, varying widths, into strips. using lime green fabrics as cornerstones.

Then I used another round of black background fabrics with brightly colored dots or motifs on them. Once again lime green for the cornerstones.


Then I needed to decide on the next round. I figured that free piecing would be fun and would be a perfect compliment. So, it began. Lots of brightly colored fabric, cut, sewn, cut again, and sewn again. Voila... two sides!!

Then to make a top and bottom with the same technique. But take a look at the cornerstones now...


Still lime green, but a little zinger of black fabric cut into them. Doesn't this piece go well with my fun pink LL Bean slippers? I love those slippers, very comfy!


So there you have it... I have officially named it "Immaculate Inspiration". That is really what she was and is. Now to quilt it and then bind it. Most likely the binding will be a fun black print too.


Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

20 comments:

antique quilter said...

perfect very fun! how big is this quilt now?

LOve that fabric that Victoria gave you...
a nice remembrance of your time at the retreat.
Kathie

Abby and Stephanie said...

She's fun and beautiful and a special reminder of your retreat. Yes, LOVE the slippers.

Sarah said...

This is fab!just the sort of colours I love. I have to ask though how on earth do you "free piece"? Newbie here lol

crazylegs quilting said...

Just LOVE your little quilt! What a fun project!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Beautiful! I love all the inspiration that you and the others have shared from your creative weekend at Victoria's! Thanks!

Lynette said...

I need to break into free-piecing! Any tricks to how you did it?

Anya said...

Love those slippers! (oh, and the quilt, too)

Lisa said...

What a fun piece! I love bright colors too and your are fabulous.

Cathi said...

You really were inspired!! It is gorgeous -- the lime green cornerstones are perfect!
Love those slippers, too!

Carol from Panama said...

Oh my goodness Jackie - it is fabulous and the title is PERFECT. The colors are so Mexican fiesta cheerful. Victoria's fabric design is so lovely - does she sell it by the yard - or maybe you'll carry it in your store?

Kim said...

I'm working on mine too.....right now she is framed in a black and white stripe.....ummmmmm looks a lot like YOUR start.......oh dear I took your inspiration and ran with it!!
What do they say about imitation?

Happy sewing

pat sloan said...

she is AMAZING!

Nancy Page said...

She is amazing, bright, and colorful. As well as very modern.

Have a super great sewing day.

sewfunquilts said...

She's terrific! And when you look at her, you'll relive the fun at the retreat!

YankeeQuilter said...

Love it! The colors are fun but Mary is still the centerpiece...

*karendianne. said...

Gosh this is some really amazing creativity at work. I love the piecing!!! (and the spiffy shoes, too!)

Helen said...

Did you click your pink slippers to get inspired? You sould add them to your quilt somehow.

Ann Ferguson said...

Fantastic Jackie. I love the black crosses in the corners...as well as everything else of course!

Julie Bagamary said...

VERY cute. Like the cornerstones!

Rumi said...

Beautiful! I love the wonderful brights you chose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...