Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Multi-Talented Roberta

Hello Everyone,

Have you ever felt like you are missing out on something? This week so far has been busy for me and I feel like I am missing all my blogging friends. The weather has been fairly nice, so I have been trying to get outside after quilting customer quilts. That means that my computer time has been less, so I haven't been blog surfing too much! I am trying though!

Anyway, I recently returned from visiting my parents in AZ. While there my mom took me over to one of her friend's home, Roberta. Interesting though, while my mother is NOT a quilter, she has friends and a daughter (me) who quilt. I think she needs to take it up as a hobby, don't you?

This was the first time I was at Roberta's home and I can tell you she did not disappoint. Not only is she a lovely and friendly lady, but she is very talented too. Here I will show you what I mean:


This little beauty was the first thing that caught my eye! Amazing! And to think this was one of her first quilts. She said she took a class where they were only allowed to take fabric out of a bag and just sew. Great concept, no matchy, matchy.


This is Roberta. Isn't she just cute? The quilt that she is holding is the second one that caught my eye. You probably all know why... a Kaffe pattern. She had this draped on her sofa. Beautiful!


This quilt was in her entryway. It is a Strips and Curves quilt pattern by Louisa Smith. Love the irregular edge.


Roberta also has a love of Asian fabrics and designs. She made this quilt in a kimono shape. Very cool! Also hanging in her entryway!


This quit was a take on Ricky Tim's Convergence quilts. Roberta did it in Asian fabrics. It hangs in her guest bedroom.


Another convergence quilt with a tropical flair. See where her finger is, well....



Look at this parrot! Amazing! All beaded, crazy beaded! Love it! See what I mean, multi-talented.


These two quilts are on display just off the living room. The upper one is a little paper pieced quilt. The lower one is another Asian quilt.


Roberta also loves Hawaiian quilting. It is no wonder why, she is terrific at it. This pillow is gorgeous and done to perfection.


Here is one in the works, they are guitars!


Beautiful! Some of my favorite colors.


Not only does Roberta quilt, but she does needlework too. This is all black and white. Just gorgeous!


Last but not least, her design wall. This is her current project. Those dots are not applique circles, they are sticky labels to keep track of where her blocks need to go. Great idea!

I hope you have enjoyed meeting Roberta. I know that I enjoyed getting to know her better. Truly inspirational! Keep up the great work Roberta. Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Oh, before I forget, congratulations to Carol! She won the fat quarter giveaway from my online shop! Eight fat quarters of Essex Cotton/Linen blend is on its way to you!

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

29 comments:

pratima said...

Oh, wow! Roberta's quilts are spectacular! Thank you for the peek into her gorgeous creations. It's hard to say which one is the favorite... the parrot is amazing!

Miriam said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing those wonderful quilts. That parrot is truly incredible!

Judi said...

The quilts are fabulous. The colors and patterns. Thanks for sharing.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Wow, a one-woman quilt show. Thank you for sharing Roberta's work. Just spectacular.

Nedra said...

Wonderful quilts by Roberta! It looks like you guys really hit it off, and that you had a wonderful visit while in Arizona.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing! Roberta is VERY talented!

alobsiger said...

Goodness! What fantastic quilts Roberta has made! Very talented! Thanks for the introduction!! While the weather has been lovely here too, I'm a little miffed that I've been spending so much time outside dealing with weeds. Already. Sheesh. I can think of much more fun things I'd rather be doing. :-)

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! Beautiful quilts -- I'll bet it was fun to see them all in person. And Congratulations to Carol -- darn it! ;-)

Vickie E said...

yes beautiful quilts. thanks for sharing :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

isn't it nice to go for a visit and find a house to "tour" through that has quilts all over the place. Sounds like fun. I too have been outside more and not on the computer as much.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Cathi said...

Absolutely fabulous quilts -- so gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing!

Audrie said...

Holy wow those are some amazing quilts! I hope in years to come I'll manage to fill my home with works like that!

momto2wasd said...

Wow...those are amazing!!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

What a fun look at Roberta's work. I love that she has her quilts all around her home.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

All I can say is WOW!!!!

Patty said...

Roberta is quite talented, thanks for sharing.

Patty said...

Roberta is quite talented, thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

Stunning work! Thanks for sharing Roberta's work with us. How very talented she is!

Vicki W said...

She has some great quilts!

Janet said...

Roberta is a talented quilter, thanks for the wonderful show and tell.

Fleurette said...

Beautiful quilts, wow! multi talented indeed. thanks for showing them.

Riel Nason said...

What a treasure trove! I can see why you enjoyed your visit!

Joan said...

What a wonderful visit you had - such really stunning quilts. I would imagine it to be fantastic to see all those quilts up on show.in ones own house..a private quilt show ! Fantastic.

Mary said...

All I can say is, "Wow!" What amazing quilts. I am especially taken with the irregular quilt edges as it certainly adds a great deal of interest to them. Amazing talent - this is why I love blogging so much so I can connect with people who have such inspirational talent!

Karen said...

First time to visit your blog, and I must say I picked a good one LOL! Roberta is like a quilt show all in her home. Awesome pictures. I'll be back again soon. Thanks for sharing.

Kim D. said...

Thanks for sharing Roberta's quilts, they are gorgeous.

Avon said...

Beautiful quilts! I'm sure you had fun visiting Roberta! Maybe some of her passion will rub off on your mom. LOL
Justine

Vesuviusmama said...

How exciting to visit someone's house and actually have a quilt show! That first one really caught my eye, too - my kind of quilt. And after reading Chiaverini's "The Aloha Quilt" you know I'll be trying a quilt in the Hawaiin style before too long. Thanks for sharing!

Em said...

Thank you for sharing her gifts and how lucky you are to have seen them in person!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...