Saturday, October 6, 2012

Loving the Lemoyne Star in Two Ways

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday, I played BIG time!! I just had the urge to make a TON of Lemoyne Star blocks.  I had started some a while ago and I sooooo needed to make some more.



I love this technique in making them.  This is NOT paper pieced.  You can do it by paper piecing, but you don't have to if you don't want.


This technique is all strip pieced! Yes, no cutting of diamonds.  I am doing them in two different fabrics... Kaffe Fassett fabrics and African fabrics... you will see them further down in the post.  The Kaffe fabrics that I am using are reds and yellows... many different fabrics too!  This will be very scrappy.


I love the trimming pile, so pretty.


The strips are cut and sewed together and eventually you get this shape, then re-sew them and you get these...


Lovely Lemoynes!!  I am making many different sizes with this technique too... very cool! 


Here are my African Lemoyne stars.  I love the way the African fabric looks against the black Kona.


This technique give you perfect points too!  Gotta love that!


Here are the sizes that I made yesterday left to right in inches:

9.5, 8.5, 6.5, 4.5, and 3.5.


This one is the little mini 3.5 inch... look at those points!  I am sure you would like to know how I made these?

I have been using the Rapid Fire Lemoyne Star Ruler.  You can find it in my shop by clicking here.  

And I will be teaching this method and at a retreat in Vermont in March!  If you would like to learn it from me, just click here for the details and to register for the retreat.


It makes Lemoyne star blocks that range in size from 3" to 12" blocks.  Truly a great alternative to paper piecing and easy to do because it is all strip pieced.  

Wait until you see the quilt that will be made with these blocks.  But don't worry, there will be 2 quilts, one Kaffe and one African.

P.S.  This weekend there is a Columbus Day Sale going on in my shop, all Black and White fabrics are marked down to $7.50 per yard, Batiks to $8.50 per yard, and Australian Aboriginals to $8.50 per yard but only through Monday.

Enjoy!


Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

These are going to be two very stunning quilts! Terrific technique. I admire those who come up with the rulers/templates to make things easier.

Pat said...

I took a LeMoyne Star class with Deb Tucker. I'm not sure which was better, the technique, the result, or Deb's extreme enthusiasm! This is a great, simple way to do a block that used to be challenging. Mine is hot batiks on black, but I'm really liking those Kaffes.

Kim said...

Beautiful! You have a great color sense Jackie :0). What a great technique, I love how quilting is a never changing, living art form.

Happy Sewing

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Those are GORGEOUS, Jackie! That ruler does a fabulous job!

Nifty Quilts said...

Very cool tool. I've been meaning to make a LeMoyne Star someday. Just put it on my wish list! Now, if only I could come to Vermont too.

Venus de Hilo said...

Stunning! Oooh, now I want that ruler. Santa, are you listening?

Em said...

Jackie, BEAUTIFUL!!!

DianeY said...

I love, love those blocks! I'm wondering if the ruler has instructions with it? While I'd love to come to your class, there is no way I'm going to make it there from Hawaii!

Cathi said...

Those are wonderful LeMoyne Stars -- so wonderfully bright and cheerful! I'm so tempted to make a few using some brights!

WeedyMama said...

I must confess I have been too cowardly to attempt using Kaffe Fassett fabrics. These are so exuberant! I think I should just get some fat quarters, cut them up and take a flying leap in the pool. Beautiful workmanship. Will be curious to see what these "grow up to be".

Barb said...

spectacular stars.
This is a very cool and clever.
I'll have to think about getting this ruler.
I love your fabric choices very Urban cool

Barb said...

Absolutely stunning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...