Monday, December 6, 2010

I Think My Hot Flash Is Just About DONE!!

Hello Everyone,

Yes, it is true, I am almost done with Hot Flash!! Although I may end up naming it something else. Now mind you my daughter's birthday is only 2 days away, so it most likely will be ready for Christmas and not her birthday. I don't think she will mind.


This weekend, I applied the pieced borders and really love the way it looks. I just need to add one more plain border. It will be a black with a white background.


These quarter square/half square triangle combo units were easy peasy using the Tucker Trimmer. They really turned out perfect. My daughter picked out the blue and teal fabrics without knowing what I was going to do with them. Well, I guess she knew that I would be making some kind of quilt.


I just love how the saturated color of the blues and teals "POP" against the black and white. What do you think?


A closer look at the combo units really show how nicely they work up.


I think that she will be pleased even though it isn't her Union Jack Flag quilt (that she also asked for). That will come next...


You can see that you can mix different kinds of fabric. I always do. I used a mix of batiks and regular quilting cotton prints in this quilt. Using batiks is always a pleasure, they press so nicely and are always saturated in color.


I just couldn't pass up putting the quilt on the bed to see how it would look. Albeit, it is isn't her bed.

Recap on what I used to create this quilt:

2. Black and white fabrics from my stash and shop.
3. Batiks from my stash and shop.

So if you are interested in making one of these beauties, you can find everything you need in my shop!! Plus, the black and white fabrics are on sale for this week only for $7.75 per yard.

Hopefully next time you see this quilt it will be quilted and bound. I think I will do a fairly simple pieced backing too. Do you think I can have it all done by Christmas??


Until Next Time....

Share/Bookmark

43 comments:

Elzaan said...

WOW! That looks stunning! Looks more like a cold/ice flame to me (especially the blue/teal border) than a "hot flash". I like this version better though. The blue and teal fabrics just brings the whole quilt together. I love it!
Elzaan

Days and colors said...

It turned out SO beautiful! I love how you did the border, a wonderful touch of blue! How big are the blocks? 8"?

Terry said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the blue in the border! :0)

Michele said...

It looks fabulous!

Barb said...

those blue batiks are just perfect!
looks great and she'll love it!

Oops-Lah said...

I love that blue in the border. It works fantastic.

Marianne said...

It looks great!

Messy Karen said...

the blue border is fantastic!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Jackie! It's absolutely gorgeous -- you're daughter is going to be thrilled! You can definitely have it done for Christmas -- I wouldn't be surprised if you make it by her birthday!

Donna~~ said...

Love your border--it makes it look like you've bound it with the little folded triangles on the edge (I can't remember what it is called) without that work! Your daughter is going to love it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love the color combinations. I made a similar quilt years ago for my sister when she got married.

Lee Ann L. said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! I can hardly wait to see the finished quilt. :-)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It's just beautiful Jackie! Lucky daughter!

WoolenSails said...

I really love the blues and teals around the black and white, beautiful color combination.

Debbie

Cindy said...

Wow! I just love that combo of black and white with a touch of blue! It's fabulous! What a lucky daughter!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

very sharp looking...striking

Abby and Stephanie said...

Spectacular! I really love the blues with the b/w.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is really gorgeous!! I don't think you'll get it done in two days, but bet you'll make a Christmas deadline. Lucky daughter!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

This is a spectacular quilt Jackie! Makes me want to make a Black and White quilt.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Oh my gosh, this is so beautiful. I love it. The blue in the border is such a wonderful touch of color.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow....that is a stunner Jackie...

Cardygirl said...

The quilt is stunning Jackie. Love that teal border. She will love it!

Poppyprint said...

That border is the BEST. The batiks look amazing. I bet you will have it done!

Tracey said...

Love the flash of blue in the border .. very striking!

Lesly said...

It is just stunning. I impulse-bought this ruler when I came across it recently just because of this quilt!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Stunning, just stunning, and I love the touch of color; it really brings it all together! She will love it.

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

Define "WOW FACTOR" -- The quilt Jackie hit the airways with this morning ... You are a very talented young lady!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Turquoise is one of my favorite colors, and I want to make me a black and white quilt, and I was going to put the two together on a trial run, glad to see someone has confirmed that it will look great together for me. Love your quilt.

Tamie said...

What a stunning quilt! It's wonderful.

Nedra said...

It looks perfect on the bed. I know your daughter will love her quilt.

quiltmom anna said...

Jackie,
I love the blue border with the black and white- It is really stunning-
I am sure it will be well loved by your daughter.
I also really enjoyed your previous post of Judy Niemeyer's quilts- They all were so stunning- I love her patterns- I think I have 3 or 4 waiting in the wings to be made.
Thanks for sharing such beautiful quilts. They all are inspiring.
Regards,
Anna

pratima said...

It is beautiful! The blue makes it sparkle even more and adds a lovely touch!

lindaroo said...

What a stunning combination! The border is awesome. Wow.
Yes, do it for Christmas! It'll make such a huge impact! And so cozy to snuggle with at Christmas!

Rumi said...

BEAUTIFUL! Jackie, this turned out so great. What a wonderful gift for your daughter. Love the blues in the border!

Cathi said...

What a stunning quilt!! The blues in the border are just the right touch!!

Cathi said...

I really like this pattern. You did an excellent job piecing it. Nice how the differnce in the print of black and white fabrics stand out. The Tucker tools are very handy!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Stunning...who would think a black and white quilt could be so amazing? Love the blue in the border and your piecing in beyond perfection. How long does it take you to cut and piece such a quilt?

Em said...

Jackie,Can I impersonate your daughter and be the recipient :). That border is the icing on the cake and the whole quilt is spectacular. WOW!!! Might as well CELEBRATE her birthday the whole month by prolonging the gift giving!!!

Sherrie said...

Jackie I just posted the giveaway on Facebook here:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/

Becky said...

Wow! This is one gorgeous quilt!!!! I especially love the blue with the black and white. Very nice job! Please share again when its quilted. I am so trying not to begin new projects, but this one is sure tempting:)

Patty said...

I love this quilt. I didn't think black & white could be that exciting. I especially love the little burst of color.

PamKittyMorning said...

I love how this turned out. The blue in the border is absolutely perfect. I think it's going to be a big hit.

Dandelion Quilts said...

What a pretty quilt....and that is just an understatement, isn't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...