Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Chisel Shape

Hello Everyone,

One of the things in all my years of quilting that has intrigued me the most is the variety of shapes that we can use and the multitude of designs that they can make!

So when Carolyn, from AccuQuilt contacted me and asked if I would like to try the GO! cutter, I could not refuse. Now many of you know that I have the BIG version of this the AccuQuilt Studio and absolutely love it. But I though it might be nice to try the portable one.

In thinking of what shapes that I would like to try, that I do not have with the studio, I thought of the Chisel Shape. There is a variety of patterns that you can form with this.



Here you can see the GO! on my cutting mat. So it is truly smaller than my studio and it folds up nicely. The chisel die is sitting waiting to be used.


The mat is the gray piece that sits on top of the fabric once it is placed on the die. This allows the blades to come up and cut the fabric precisely.


The project I decided to make will include 30s reproduction fabrics. A BIG favorite of mine. So I cut them to the size of the die and made sure they were pressed, just like I would for a regular project.



Stacked up 6 layers! Yes, 6 layers on the die.


Placed the mat on the top and got cranking!


Out of the other side they come. In this photo, I already took the excess fabric away and this is what is left.


12 chisel shapes ready to be pieced together into a project. Noticed the trimmed corners. Hmmm... what am I making. You will have to stay tuned to see what I am will be making. Some of it is already on the design wall.

If you like 30s reproduction fabrics you can find some by clicking here and here.

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

27 comments:

Jodi said...

Jackie, I LOVE 30's fabrics so was disappointed when your links "here" and "here" said the URL was not found. Thanks for the demo, though. Looks great and SO easy! My cutting skills leave something to be desired, alas, which makes this even more attractive and something to think about.

Unknown said...

Hi Jodi, Thanks for the heads up! The links are working now!

antique quilter said...

wow how lucky are you I would love to try out that Go! Cutter before I thought about buying one
I can certainly see the benefit for me as I love making scrap quilts and quite frequently one block quilts.
looking forward to seeing your new quilt...a peak at the design wall please!
I love 30's too, they just make me smile
Kathie

Betsy said...

Great demo Jackie.

Gene Black said...

I love my Go! cutter. I have the chisel die and I am in the process of making a quilt and writing the pattern for it.
I cut lots of those chisels, but I folded my fabric so I have right hand AND left hand chisels for my design. Also I did it much "tighter" so there was very little wasted fabric.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I think Accuquilt fever is happening all over the place. How fun to test out the smaller version. Never heard of a chisel shape so I'm intrigued about the design.

Pat said...

I'm in the process this morning of cutting chisels for a baby quilt...and then have fabric ready to cut more for another baby quilt (first one for a girl baby and second one for a boy baby). This is so much fun and the chisel shapes sew together beautifully!

Anya said...

I have the GO cutter and have used the Tumbler die a lot for our guild's charity quilts. The trimmed corners make putting the tops together so easy.

Sandy said...

I am trying for a GO! every Friday on the Accuquilt FB site....I am in the middle of a red/white(lt gold) and blue "star" design quilt-I cut the chisels so FAST the entire twin size that I could not believe it! I too love 30's and am anxious to see what you come up with....thanks for sharing Sandy in MD

Nancy said...

I have been quilting for about 11 years now and have NEVER heard of the chisel shape...how weird is that. I can't wait to see how it looks all put together...

and i LOVE 30's and wish I had a Go-Cutter...

Peach Rainbow said...

Quick & Neat!
Waiting to see your project using these.

Karen said...

Very cool. I think I'd have to try it out before buying to see how much I'd use it. I have a bunch of chisel shapes - would love to see how you're going to set them. I haven't decided how to set mine.

Oops-Lah said...

Thanks for showing how the GO works. It's quite remarkable how precise it is. I'm wondering how big your AccuQuilt Studio is. I'm also looking forward to seeing what you'll make with those shapes.

Nanette Merrill said...

oh wow. Just amazing. I hear good and bad about this though. Some shops say they've sent it back. I'm very much interested.

Fleurette said...

The Go cutter is amazing!! can't wait to see what you make with those shapes, thanks for the demo!

Simone de Klerk said...

I'll definitely stay tuned, to see what you make with these shapes!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Hmmm, I would love to see what you will do with those!!

Anonymous said...

I think I want one....

looks easy to use too.

cheers
Christine

Bec said...

Looks like fun!! and easy! I might have to give it a go one day... now they are cut..sew sew.. hurry hurry!! cant wait to see what it turned out to be xx

Diane J. Evans said...

This looks like WAY too much fun! I love new toys like this!

Diane

Selvage Quilter said...

Wow, those shapes are fast and neat. I'm intrigued. This could really save wear and tear on the hands when cutting lots of pieces.

WoolenSails said...

That is nice for those larger shapes, saves on the hand stress. It is something on my wish list.

Debbie

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

So fun Jackie! Wonder what you're making with that lovely 30's fabric.

quiltmom anna said...

There sure are lots of people using the Go around blogland. I wonder what you are going to make with your pieces. I am sure it will be terrific..

I do like 30's fabrics too- I am still looking for the right pattern for my collection of 30's fabrics.

Regards,
Anna

pratima said...

It's amazing how many pieces are cut at once. Thank you for the peek into the process, Jackie. I look forward to seeing the cute 30's project :)

Cathi said...

I'm really curious to see what you're making with that shape. I can't help but think of some sort of a pinwheel?

Lori said...

That is very cool!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...